Welcome to Music at Franklin Discovery!




My name is Micki Allred. I am the new elementary music teacher this year at Franklin Discovery! I graduated from the University of Utah in 2001 with a Masters Degree in Music.  I then went on teach Music in the Duchesne County School District for 12 years. I am excited to be at Franklin Discovery and have the opportunity to share my love for music.

The Music courses I offer this year at Franklin Discovery will be sequential, comprehensive, and sustained as defined in the State and National Core Arts Standards for Music Education.

Here are a list of the classes I will be teaching during the first block.
Music at the Core (1st and 2nd grade)  - Students will experience music through movement, singing, listening, creating, and playing instruments.  This class will also follow the State and National Core guidelines for Elementary Music.

Group Piano - Students will learn how to read and play music on the piano. This class will incorporate the middle C position method along with intervallic reading. Individual practice time is a part of group piano that will require headphones.  I have headphones available that will be sanitized after each use, but if you’d like to have your own headsets please label them and they will be placed in the student practice folders.  The Dollar Tree has headsets available for $1.00.

Note Star - Students will learn to read basic notation and also gain an appreciation of music by learning about it through different cultures, genres, and instruments.

Music Prodigy - Students will learn how to play the Xylophone, Ukulele, Piano, and various Percussion instruments. Students will also gain an appreciation for music through movement, singing, listening, and an in depth look at worldwide musical cultures.

The study of music has been shown to have lasting benefits on students’ cognitive, psychomotor, and affective development. The following link shows the benefits of a musical education.


So far, I have enjoyed playing instruments, singing, and making music with our Franklin Discovery students.
I look forward to a great school year!
x

Popular posts from this blog

May 6-10, 2019