Social Studies Without War?!?

Folks, I've done it!  I've scheduled an entire block with no war!  This block, a lot of our classes will be geography-based, and we'll focus on the where of social studies.

My 1st and 2nd graders will be studying geography and creation myths in two separate classes.  In geography, we'll be studying continents and then focusing on local geography.  In creation myths, we'll look at several creation myths from around the world, and at the end of the term, students will be able to make their own creation myths.

My 3rd and 4th graders will be studying geography and explorers.  In geography, we'll start with the continents and then focus on mountains of the world.  In explorers, we'll focus on the great explorers of the world, including Columbus and Magellan, among others.  We'll end that term by becoming explorers ourselves.

My 5th and 6th graders will study geography and Enlightenment philosophy.  In geography, we'll study continents and move from there to the 5 themes of geography.  In philosophy, we'll study the Enlightenment philosophers, who set in motion the creation of the United States.  We'll study how their philosophy leads directly to the formation of our country.

Also, I'm a part of teaching two other classes.  On "A" days, I am helping to teach a novel writing class with Mrs. Kenter.  See her blog post for details on that.  While you're doing that, be sure to note that November is National Novel Writing Month (NaNoWriMo), and anyone is eligible.  See nanowrimo.org for details!  On "B" days, I am helping to teach a Wellness class called The Superhuman Project.  I'll be with Mrs. Kenter and Coach Young on that one, and Coach Young will have the details!

I look forward to this term!  I love geography, creation myths, explorers, and philosophy, and can't wait to help in other classes!

Popular posts from this blog

May 6-10, 2019